The High Court in Accra will hear a bail application submitted by Kwame Baffoe, the Bono Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), also known as Abronye DC, on Thursday, after the Attorney-General requested extra time to respond to the move.
Following the prosecution’s request for a brief window of time to submit its response to the bail application, the judge postponed the hearings.
Abronye’s attorney objected to the proposal, stating that the Republic had previously received the application on May 14, 2026.
Abronye is being charged with one count of publishing false information and another count of provocative conduct conducive to a breach of peace.
His legal team then filed an application for bail pending trial, claiming that his ongoing incarceration violated his constitutional rights and raised issues with his personal freedom and health.
Mr. Dame objected to the adjournment, calling the prosecution’s request “completely out of order.”
He contended that before Wednesday’s hearings, the Republic, which was in charge of the accused, had a clear six days to reply to the application.
He said, “It is not in dispute that the rights and liberties of the accused person are in issue and are deposed to in the affidavit. Even his health is endangered.”
Mr. Dame urged the court to consider the bail request, emphasising that the accused person’s freedom and rights were at stake.
“We pray that having regard to the fact that the Republic was served with the application six days ago, we be heard on the motion for bail and same be considered by the court,” he continued.
Although the Republic had been served on May 14, Assistant State Attorney Grace Delali Tali to the court that the period actually amounted to three distinct days rather than six.
Although she acknowledged that the motion was ready for hearing, she maintained that the prosecution needed more time to speak with investigators and become acquainted with the case before making a suitable response.
“Although I concede that the motion is ripe for hearing, the nature of the case is such that the Republic has to consult the investigators to familiarise itself with the case and appropriately respond, and that is why we are praying for a short adjournment,” she said.
Mr. Dame responded by arguing that the court’s application was not a trial that needed to consult investigators.
This is a straightforward bail application. Act 30 and the Constitution both clearly outline the factors. He stated that the accused person’s human rights should take precedence.
In its decision, the court stated that it had taken the Republic’s request into consideration and was required to approve it while striking a balance between justice and the accused’s rights.
The court decided that the Republic had till today’s end to submit the required answer.
The hearing on the bail application was then postponed until tomorrow.
Source: newsthemegh.com