The township of Yeji was tense on Sunday, June 15, 2025, when a guy named Kwame Mensah was arrested by a group of locals and brutally attacked by a mob on suspicion of engaging in LGBTQ+ activities.
Witnesses said that the confrontation started in the early afternoon when some local adolescents said they recognized Mensah from previous rumors about his sexual orientation and social media posts.
When local security personnel arrived to disperse the throng and take Mensah into jail, he was allegedly physically attacked by a mob after being harassed close to the central market and taken toward the community plaza.
Speaking to a group of townspeople after the tragedy, one of Yeji’s elders made a strong commitment that the village would not make the same “costly mistake” as it had the previous year.
“In April last year, we caught Alex, the owner of Lifetime Palace Restaurant, and we let him slip through our hands. Not again. This time, we mean business,” to thunderous applause, the elder said.
“We are determined to cut off all traces of LGBTQ from our land. Kwame Mensah will serve as a lesson.” he continued
Alex and the other others who have since left Ghana were also given a severe warning by the elder, who implied that their departure does not release them from responsibility.
“Being out of Ghana does not mean your sins are forgiven. The seeds you planted continue to grow, and for that, you will be held accountable. If any of you return, you will be dealt with,” he said.
Human rights activists have expressed alarm over this incident, stating that such public threats and mob activities could further jeopardize lives and violate Ghana’s commitments to safeguard all citizens, regardless of identification, and to enforce the rule of law.
Kwame Mensah was turned over to the police so they could conduct additional research.
Source: newsthemegh.com